A Guide to St. Edward’s Church – The Choir Gallery
To enlarge the pictures click on the photographs.
The gallery is located above the narthex at the east end of the church. This sketch by C. Dudley Brown in 1946 for the Consecration Booklet is a view of the nave and gallery from the chancel looking eastwards towards the entrance to the church.
Sited within the gallery on the left hand side is a window which depicts crossed keys, one silver and one gold, a traditional symbol of St. Peter. On right hand side of the gallery the window depicts a crown of thorns against the background of a cross.
Above the gallery in the east wall of the church is a triple window which shows the Saints Peter, Edward the Confessor and Paul. St. Peter holds two keys and in an unusual portrayal is shown reading a book. St. Edward is depicted as king, holding a sceptre and a ring. St. Paul carries the sword of the spirit (a traditional symbol for him) and a book which represents his epistles. The window contains a dedication which reads “The Right Rev. Mgr. J. Canon Tonks Golden Jubilee Aug 24th 1939”. Canon Tonks was parish priest at St. Edward’s from 1896-1924. He was greatly responsible for the acceptance of Catholics in the Kettering community at a time of great prejudice against them.