The Sisters of Our Lady
The Convent of Our Lady
St. Julie Billiart – God is good, indeed, very good! ‘Ah! qu’il est bon, le bon Dieu!'” (St.Julie Billiart)
The Sisters of Our Lady in England (also known internationally as the Sisters of Notre Dame) were called to England from Germany in 1933 to help establish parish of St. Augustine’s in Hoddesdon, Herts. in the Diocese of Westminster.
The Sisters moved to Kettering in 1954 to continue the work of the Ursuline Sisters within the Parish (1938-1954). They kept on this Convent School until 1972 when they closed the High School. The Prep. School was closed in 2003. They also taught in St.Edward’s School, St.Thomas More School, St.Mary’s School, the Becket School in Northampton and Our Lady & Pope John School in Corby.
Their convent location moved several times during this period, including on Hall Lane, Hawthorn Road and Glebe Avenue. The last sister of the Convent of Our Lady left Kettering in 2021.
The stained glass windows with the words: ‘Stella Maris’ and ‘Regina Coeli’ formed part of the convents in Hall Lane and Hawthorn Road. According to Sr. Marion (pictured above, left), in 2014 they “reflect our desire to answer God’s call in whatever way perceived, at any given time, and to the best of our ability, at any given time. We rely on God’s Goodness and Provident Care and the help of you, our friends, to continue the mission entrusted to us by our Good God.”