Pastoral Notes 10th August 2014

THE FIRST SISTERS ?

Our parish of Kettering looks back perhaps to 1891 as a beginning when Mass was celebrated at Tyrell’s Temperance Hotel, Market Place, on 20th September. Over the years the parish has been blessed with different communities of religious sisters. Our archivist has now discovered that there was a community of Franciscan Minoresses in Kettering from 1914-1919, as we now commemorate the beginning of the First World War. Later some will remember the Ursuline Sisters who arrived at the end of 1937, purchasing a convent and moving into it in January 1938. This was for a longer stay, until August 1954, when our own Sisters of Our Lady arrived, serving the diocese and the parish and local community over those many years. We remember all these Sisters in our prayers.